It is by way of rhythm, music, and dance that people of African descent throughout the Diaspora have historically engaged in acts of empowerment and resistance, rites of passage, collective healing, spiritual elevation, and the intergenerational transmission of culture. This webinar will address our responsibility as African-descended people to return to the source: traditional African drum and dance. Within African tradition, drum and dance are not merely art forms but a deeply complex and highly functional aesthetic that is integrated into all aspects of life and vital to maintaining the essence of humanity.
Webinar – The Healing Power of African Drum, Dance, and Rhythm
Register for a certificate of Completion
Certificates can be used toward training as an African-centered psychologist
1. Participants will be able to distinguish why reclaiming traditional African cultural arts are essential to developing and sustaining wellness for diasporic Africans.
2. Participants will be able to identify how African drum and dance traditions are aligned with principles of African Psychology.
3. Participants will be able to identify how traditional African drum rhythms and dances can serve as healing tools that shift the energy in our body and incorporate mind-body-spirit connection, particularly for trauma work.
4. Participants will be able to understand how traditional African drum and dance can help promote community development and empowerment.
Dr. Jamila Codrington, Presenter
Dr. Jamila Codrington is a New York state-licensed psychologist serving children, adolescents, families, adults, and couples. As a practicing psychologist, she focuses on holistic and culturally-relevant psychological intervention and consultation services. Her aim is to empower communities of African descent by raising awareness of mental health, education, and social justice issues. See her complete profile here.
Did you attend and feel it was so stirring you just want to soak it all in again?
- Watch the full recording any time on demand for a one-time access fee of only $10!
- Already paid for certification? Get free access to the webinar any time on demand and download your copy of the presentation slide notes for free!